Dr Bisley is a Sport and Exercise Physician. She treats both sports and non-sports people.
Karen also has a background in General Practice that has provided her with a good understanding of medical related problems as well as those of a Specialist Sports Physician.
Karen has had a wide experience in many sports and currently provides the medical cover for the Canberra marathon.
She works as match day doctor for the Brumbies home games and assistant doctor at GWS Giants games based in Canberra.
Dr Bisley provides a range of services. She provides assessments of the underlying problem and aims to provide the most effective management plan.
- Acute sports and non-sports injuries
- Concussion assessments
- Muscle and joint pain
- Tendon injuries
- Overuse injuries
- Steroid Injections
- Plaster and Fibreglass casts
- Musculoskeletal assessments
- Compartment pressure testing
- Exercise prescription
- Sports-related fatigue
- Advanced Immediate care in rugby course, Level 3.
- Fellow of Australasian College of Sports Physicians 2012
- Masters of Health Science with Distinction (Otago) 2011
- Fellow of Australian College of General Practitioners 2009
- Fellow of the Royal New Zealand College of General Practitioners 2003
- Diploma of Sports Medicine 1998 (Auckland)
- Diploma of Obstetrics & Gynaecology 1995 (Auckland)
- MBChB 1992 (Otago)
Dr Karen Bisley has provided medical support for a wide variety of sporting events:
- 2008-2016 Canberra Running Festival
- 2008-2016 Medical room doctor/Match day doctor for ACT Brumbies home games
- 2009 Arafura Games doctor
- 2008 Doctor for Australian School boys rugby tournament
- 2007 Medical Coverage NZ Triathalon Championships – Wellington
- 2004/2005/2007 NZ National Hockey League Game
- 2006 NZ National Hockey League, Tournament Medical cover
- 2006/2007 Weetbix Kids Triathlon, Wellington, NZ
- 2006 Kapiti Women's Triathalon
- 2005 Golden Oldies rugby tournament, Wellington, NZ.
- 2005 World Mountain Running Championships, Wellington, NZ
- 2000-2007 Kapiti Island to Mainland swim, NZ
- 2004 NZ Athletics Championships
- 1999/2004/2005 NZ Secondary Schools Athletics Championships
- 2002 NZ v World Team International Karate Tournament
- 2001 NZ Martial Arts Tournament
- 1999 Oceania Karate Championships and NZ vs South Africa Karate Championships
- 1999 Lower North Island Rugby League Championships
- “The use of skinfold measurements to predict the outcome of open-water swim attempts in Cook Strait”. Karen Bisley and Michael Marfell-Jones NZJSM Vol 40. No 1, 2013.
- Masters dissertation: “Core body temperature in Cook Strait swimmers”. The University of Otago. December 2011